April 1st, 2020
So we're starting April 2020 under a stay-at-home order by our Ohio governor, compliments of COVID-19. We're on week 3 of being closed. As many of us are still acclimating to the new normal. Here are some ways you can make a difference in the dentistry world. Dr. Stefano is president of the North Central Ohio Dental Society and here are some things that she's doing to help support the fight against COVID-19.
- Help Others: Donate masks, gowns, disinfectant wipes and sanitizer. As of today, we've donated 200 masks to our local hospital. If each dental office did something it can add up to a big help! Donate fabric to places that are making masks; volunteer calling church members to see how they are doing; offer to shop for those that cannot leave their homes or are in the high-risk category for COVID-19.
- Offer Teledentistry: We're mandated to only offer emergency care at this point. Patients can send photos via smartphones to their dentist, and we can evaluate and give guidance over the phone. Perhaps call in a prescription to manage and triage the situation until we can see you or refer you to a specialist if needed. We can help you monitor symptoms and stay in touch with you.
- Finances: Take advantage of programs like SBA (Small Business Association) loans at sba.gov. Local banks- investigate options to potentially be able to help keep your team members employed. Tax payments can be deferred, and you can work with lenders to ask for deferred payments on other items as well.
- Communication: Reach out to team members and our patients By a simple weekly email, a Facebook post or Instagram photo, let people know you care.
Be well! Stay well!
March 24th, 2020
It seems like our last week's post was so long ago. But only 7 days ago, we changed. Our world changed. Our expectations changed. Our daily lives changed.
Under new restrictions due to COVID and its spread, our office is now closed. We're only open for emergency appointments through the end of March, 2020.
But after March. Then what. We're not sure. Doctors aren't sure. Our government isn't sure. So while we wait. We have some reminders for us all. As we wait and watch, as we try to keep moving ahead, physically, mentally, emotionally and financially--and it will at times feel like it's at a snail pace---not fast enough, be present. Haven't we been moving at lightning speed for longer than we can remember?
We continue to receive updates and information regarding the COVID-19 outbreak and containment recommendations for Ohio and the United States. It’s our top priorities to support the containment of the COVID-19 virus by adhering to federal and state health mandates, and protect the health and well-being of our staff, patients and community.
Two weeks ago, the Ohio Department of Public Health and the Ohio State Dental Board are recommending that dentists take precautionary measures by postponing elective surgery for patients if it does not put patient's health in danger.
What can you do now?
• Please continue to brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and floss daily.
• Strive for good self-care practices during this time. Getting fresh air, eating right, and getting proper rest will help support a healthy immune system.
• Walking (if able) can help mental, emotional and physical well-being.
• Social distancing prevents physical connection, but doesn’t have to restrict emotional connection---use your phone and connect with loved ones, by email, text or even better, make that call!
• Share encouragement, hope, humor and love.
• Remind yourself and others with daily positive affirmations.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility. Together, we can. Be well!
Dr. Lata, Dr. K and Staff
March 19th, 2020
Dr. Stefano was recently in Money Magazine. You can check out the article in the link below.
Water piks can provide a deep level of gum cleansing than regular flossing. They can be more expensive but are also providing you with better, more comprehensive cleaning.
From the Money Magazine excerpt--Dr. Lata Stefano says:If you’re one of the millions of Americans who know they need to floss more, Dr. Lata Stefano has a recommendation for you. Based in Ohio, Dr. Stefano likes the Philips Sonicare AirFloss Ultra because of its “user-friendly” nature. “It’s known to be the 60-second flosser,” she says. “It has targeted cleaning and can improve gum health.”
Water piks can be found at many stores and online as well. There are many to choose from. Make sure you read up on what you require and what you're looking for.
Some water piks are more user friendly than others. There are some water piks that are more expensive than others too. Find the water pik that works best for you.
If you have questions about what water pik works best, ask your dentist. Dr. Stefano and Dr. Klassen are always available to share best practices and advice on products.
If you know you won't floss with regular floss, or need something that's more user friendly a wter pik might be for you.
We encourage you to floss no matter what water pik you choose, or just use the traditional floss. Most important, floss daily!
March 12th, 2020
Looking for more ways to give back? How about get your oral cancer screening for only $20? It's a great way to help our local Cancer Services of Sandusky and be a support to our community. Please read below. We're giving back 100% of all fees now through June 30, 2020.
If you're not sure if you need an oral cancer screening, ask your dentist. There are many reasons to get an oral cancer screening. Maybe you've been a smoker, have a family history of oral cancer, chew tobacco, etc. Oral cancer screenings help detect pre-cancerous tissue. Prevention is key with oral cancer. Oral cancer screenings can be an effective form of preventative treatment for oral cancer.
Stefano Dental of Sandusky, Ohio is offering $20 VELscope oral cancer screenings now through June 30, 2020 to help support Cancer Services of Sandusky, Ohio, where 100% of the oral cancer screening fees will be donated. VELscope oral cancer screenings can help detect pre-cancerous tissue. For more information, please go to www.stefanodental.com.
“Dentistry isn’t just about cleanings and cavities, we’re also big advocates for oral health and prevention, which is why oral cancer screenings are so important,” said Dr. Lata Stefano of Stefano Dental of Sandusky, Ohio. “Not only are we offering screenings, but we’re giving back 100% to Cancer Services to help those in need,” said Dr. Stefano.
About VELscope: The VELscope® Vx Enhanced Oral Assessment System is a handheld scope that can help detect oral tissue abnormalities, including cancer and pre-cancer, using a harmless bright blue light. For more information go to https://apteryx.com/product/velscope-vx-system/